Skip to main content

rare bird flu?

Michael Osterholm, infectious disease expert at the University of Minnesota, said on Gary Eichten's "Midday" that another flu pandemic is inevitable: "This is not a matter of if. This is a matter of it will happen. And it's really a situation of planning how we are going to get through it." A caller asked what his chances of living through a pandemic would be. Osterholm said 95%. However, he said that the chances for pregnant women would be 50%, as they have weakened immune systems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US death toll in Iraq tops 1,000

Senator Kerry calls this a "tragic milestone," and the most catastrophic of the administration's mistakes made so far. Regardless of his mistakenly voting for the war at the time, he's right. For him to turn against the Iraq war is a flip-flop I would be happy with. Hopefully he has an exit strategy, even though he's not telling us about it at the moment. This is why Bush must be defeated in November. I realize the economy is an important issue, but compared to 1000++ dead soldiers? Come on. Not to mention 7,000++ wounded, and the 11,000++ estimated by the Iraq Body Count . This is a slam dunk, as George Tenet would say. Prediction: if Bush is [re]elected, the U.S. will engage in pre-emptive war against Iran and/or North Korea. Is that really what we want?

A Valid Path

Last weekend I completed ripping my Alan Parsons CD collection and started listening to it at work off my portable media player. While listening, I figured I might as well google Alan, maybe there would be some interesting historical stuff on the web. As it turns out, Alan Parsons is still kicking and has a new album out! Even better, he's doing electronica now! I'll be receiving it shortly and will do a review. This will be the first record without his long-time bandmates Ian Bairnson, and Stuart Elliott. The new album will take Alan in a new direction and into the world of electronica. Artists appearing on this record include: Nortec Collective, The Crystal Method, Shpongle, PJ Olsson, and Pink Floyd's David Gilmour.